Sunday 21 September 2014

Sir Robert Peel Correspondence with Babbage

EXTANT BABBAGE CORRESPONDENCE
British Library Manuscripts Department
Selections from the Collection of Sir Robert Peel's Correspondence relating to Charles Babbage's Difference Engine
British Library Add Ms 40419 f 154
7th April 1835
CB to Sir Robert Peel, Prime Minister
[For draft of this letter see British Library Add Ms 37189 f74]
Sir,
I transmit a copy of a statement respecting the Calculating Engine addressed by me to the Duke of Wellington, which I had hoped would have been placed in your hands by his Grace who on several occasions has expressed an interest in the subject.
In that paper I have stated the only courses which it appears to me that the Government can take and it seems scarcely possible that you should be able, without seeing the engine and without hearing and asking explanations about it, to come to a decision on the subject. If you should take the same view I shall be happy to show it to you at any time you may fix and I will then give you the fullest information I possess on any part of the subject respecting which you may wish to enquire.
The delays and difficulties of years will I hope excuse my expressing a wish that I may be relieved from them by an early decision of the government upon the question.
I am Sir,
Your very Obdt Servant
Charles Babbage
Dorset St
Manchester Sq
7 April 1835
To The Right Honble Sir Robert Peel Bart. &c.
British Library Add Ms 40516 f265
8th October 1842
CB to Sir Robert Peel
Sir,
On the 22nd of Janry last I did myself the honor of transmitting to you a printed statement of the circumstances connected with the Calculating Engine (The Difference Engine) the construction of which I had been superintending for the government since the year 1823. That paper was accompanied by a note requesting the decision of the following question whether
It is the intention of the government to call upon me to complete for them that Difference Engine the construction of which has been suspended since 1833.
Or finally to give up its completion and thus put an end to the understanding which has subsisted since the year 1823?
I received an answer in a note from Sir George Clerk stating that Sir R. Peel "hopes that as soon as the great pressure of business previous to the opening of the session of Parliament is over he may be able to determine the best course to be pursued~.
I waited untill the important discussions of last session and even the session itself had terminated. Nor did I think it right to press upon your time during the continuance of the tumults in the manufacturing districts; nor during the Queen's visit to Scotland.
The decision of that question, which I have repeatedly but unfortunately without effect applied for during the last eight years, is to me a matter of considerable importance and I now most earnestly request you to examine it and to favor mc with the earliest information of the result.
I am Sir
Your Very Obdt Humble Servt
Charles Babbage
Dorset St
Manchester Square
8 October 1842
To the Right Honble Sir Robert Peel Bart. &c.
British Library Add Ms 40516 f267
4th November 1842, Whitehall
Draft Note from Sir Robert Peel to CB
[Top Copy filed at British Library Add Ms 37192 f 174]
Sir Robert Peel presents his compliments to Mr Babbage and begs leave to apologize for the delay in sending an acknowledgement of Mr Babbage's letter of the 8 Oct.
Sir Robert Peel received it in the country and wished to have an opportunity of
personally communicating upon the subject of that letter with the Chancellor of the
Exchequer who has undertaken to convey to Mr Babbage their joint opinions.
Whitehall
4 Nov 1842
British Library Add Ms 40611 f181
23rd Dec 1834
Statement Addressed to the Duke of Wellington KG etc. respecting the Calculating Engine
by Charles Babbage
About 13 years ago, I undertook to superintend the construction of the Calculating Engine at the wish of the then administration. The Grounds on which they took it up were, that it was not in its nature capable of becoming an object of pecuniary profit, -that it was of the highest importance to a country, possessing an extensive marine to add to its security by the construction of an Engine capable of producing Astronomical and Nautical Tables with unerring precision. -I thought, and still, think those were statesmanlike reasons.
At all events it could not have been taken up by that Administration as a personal favour to one, who was always of liberal tho' not radical principles. -It was taken up for the Interest of the Country not of the Individual; and to suppose the contrary is to maintain the existence of a wrong motive, when the existence of a right one is obvious.
I thought at that time that two or at the utmost that three years would suffice for its construction, and with this impression, I made no stipulation for any remuneration for my Services, either pecuniary or honorary.
I continued for above ten years to work amidst the greatest difficulties, at the completion of that Engine, I had to communicate with six Administrations, I repeatedly and almost continually advanced considerable Sums of Money from my own private Funds, to prevent the delays, which would have arisen, had I waited for the Issues from the Treasury.
The best proof that these advances were necessary arises from the fact that since the time at which I resolved to abstain from making any further Advances from my private funds, a period of nearly two years, the further construction of the Calculating Engine has totally ceased -During the previous ten years I have spared no expencc in travelling both at home and on the Continent for the purpose of examining all the Machinery, whether employed in Manufactures or otherwise to which I could get access. The great improvements I have made in the Calculating Engine, far beyond what I had at first proposed were one of the consequences of this Examination.
The Publication of the Results of my Reflections in the "Economy of Machinery and Manufactures" was another consequence; that work has been translated into most European languages, and has not been entirely unnoticed by the Governments of other Countries.
Of the Annoyances and difficulties I have experienced during this period, I shall not speak, they are painful to remember, and their relation is useless for the future. Their Effect may be seen perhaps in the Composition of this paper, and will be more evident in the decision with which I shall act.
Finally during my Superintendance of the Engine, I have several times declined Situations of considerable pecuniary advantage, in order that my time might be devoted to the Completion of that work.
This was more particularly the case in 1824, when a highly advantageous situation was offered to me, which would have produced an Income of above £2000 per Annum.
About two years ago, I had completed the Invention of the Engine, the various Contrivances were nearly all drawn, a large part of the Machinery was executed, and I had caused to be put together a certain portion of it forming a small Engine.
This the first Engine that ever calculated Mathematical Tables[,] performed its work with perfect precision, and is in my Opinion a complete Demonstration of the possibility of executing mechanically more than I had promised.
The Period had then arrived when I had surmounted all the great difficulties of the Question, and it was not unreasonable, even without having made any such stipulation to suppose that these Services would have been met with some Acknowledgement, at the least that I should have received some testimony of the Approbation of my Country.
It was not unreasonable to expect, that an Administration which, prided itself on its desire for the Extension of Knowledge, should have been happy in an opportunity of distinguishing the first Conversion of Mental into Mechanical Processes.
It was certain that any advice addressed to the King in favour of one, whose inventions contributed to give increased Security to the sailor, would have found a ready attention.
Some public Expression of Opinion from the Government became of more importance to me from the Circumstances that I was continually attacked by both Tories and Radicals through the Press and at Public Meetings for having received Money for my Services, a circumstance which would not I apprehend have been disgraceful if true, but being utterly false was disgraceful to those who employed it, and did give me some claim to assistance in refuting it, from the Country for which I had worked.
I received no such Assistance and the Engine itself was less noticed by the Government of the greatest naval power in the World, than it would have been in any even of the smallest states in Europe. I mention this as an opinion resulting from my own Experience. In Countries which I have visited without any introduction but those afforded by my printed works and before any portion of the Calculating Engine was actually completed, I have yet met with attentions, which stand in striking Contrast with the Neglect I have experienced in my own. -I am however bound in Justice to your Grace to state that of the seven prime ministers who have successively held office during the progress of the Calculating Engine, you alone seem to have appreciated the Nature of the Invention, for you alone have personally inspected its progress, and execution.
I shall now proceed to describe the present Condition of the Calculating Engine. A small Portion has already been put together and works perfectly.
About twelve thousand parts in more or less advanced state, together with all the numerous drawings are at present deposited in a fire-proof building, which together with workshops and a residence for the Superintending Engineer have been built for them in East Street Manchester Square. These have only been in my Custody during the last four months.
There appears to me to be but four ways in which the Question relative to this Engine can be disposed of-
1st The Government may desire me to continue its Construction in the hands of the same Person who has hitherto been employed in making it; this is the utmost extent which in my Opinion the most adverse Interpretation of any implied Understanding at the commencement of the undertaking could claim from me, and although I should probably accede to it, other Considerations render my decision upon that point at present unnecessary.
Circumstances have arisen over which neither the Government nor myself have any control, which render that course not only highly inexpedient, but I may also say even practically impossible, I shall therefore for the Present dismiss it.
2ndly The Government may enquire whether it is not possible to find some other person than the one to whom I have alluded, competent to complete the Work: this is a question on which I have for sometime bestowed considerable attention -The result of my enquiry is that it is possible, that it might be finished in much shorter time and at considerably less Expence; but that this Course would be attended by great personal sacrifices on my part, and after my Experience of the past, I do not feel myself bound to make any further Sacrifices -I am ready to point out both the reasons which lead me to the former Conclusion, and the means which can be commanded for the Completion of the
Engine, and to consider any proposition which may be made, but I will make none.
A Third Course is possible -The Government may find some person to supply my place, who may from my designs and drawings undertake to finish the Engine -I mention this as a possible Case, but I do not imagine the present Administration would pursue a course of such doubtful Expediency, if however I am mistaken -I am re~~dy at a moment's notice to transfer the Engine to any one whom they may appoint.
The last and apparently the only remaining course is to give up the Undertaking entirely. I am not unaware of the Consequences of such a step, some Economist may get up in the House of Commons and enquire why £20,000 has been spent on what he may be pleased to term a useless and an absurd Speculation, both parties will be glad to get rid of their Portion of the Responsibility, and may unite in throwing the blame entirely on me, and that worst of all possible modes of enquiry into such a subject a Committee of the House of Commons may report that I am wholly wrong. I have experienced the Injustice of my Countrymen and if need be, I shall not quail before a greater Exercise of it.
I come now to a subject of great difficulty, one which I feel that I ought to communicate in order that you may have fairly before you all the Circumstances of the case. The difficulty consists in this, that in pointing out remote tho' possible consequences, I may be accused of using a tone, which is quite foreign to my intention, and which any reasonable Being must know would be the least likely to influence the decisions of the Duke of Wellington -If any-one should judge thus harshly of me, I must be content to bear it, knowing that it is a tax I must pay to avoid the harsher judgement I should form of myself if I unfairly with-held information from Another.
During nearly two Years I was deprived entirely of the Possession of the whole of the drawings of the Calculating Engine. About four months since they were delivered up to me, and I immediately began a Re-examination and Criticism of every Part. The Result of this and of my increased Knowledge has been the Contrivance of a totally new Engine possessing much more extensive powers, and capable of Calculations of a Nature far more complicated. It is singular that amongst the numerous contrivances, which it comprises, no one has yet been adopted, which has been employed in the former one. Much as it exceeds that Engine in power it is not intended to supersede it, on the contrary it will greatly extend its power and add to its utility.
I have laid aside for a time all other Pursuits, and have advanced considerably with the drawings, on which I keep an able draftsman constantly employed -The great Mechanical Principles and Contrivances which regulate its action are already decided upon, and it is my intention to proceed to finish the drawings in such a manner that the whole Invention of the new Engine shall be complete and susceptible of being executed at any future Period.
Whether I shall ever be able to afford to construct such an Engine from my own, private resources, injured as they have been by the sacrifices I have made in carrying on the former one is yet uncertain -but it has been suggested to me from several quarters, and has occurred to my own mind that it is not impossible that the Government of some other Country forming a different Estimate, both of the utility of such Undertakings, and of the Value of the Reputation that attends them, might make propositions, which I should be disposed to entertain.
My right to dispose, as I will, of such Inventions cannot be contested; it is more sacred in its Nature, than any hereditary or acquired Property, for they are the Absolute Creations of my own Mind. The Consequences of such an Arrangement would be, that it would become necessary for me to collect together all that is most excellent in our own workshops -that Methods and Processes, which are equally essential to the Perfection of Machinery, but which are far less easily transmitted from Country to Country, would be at once brought into successful practice under the Eyes and by the Hands of foreign Workmen
-that I should contrive as I have contrived before, new modes of executing Work, and that
a School of Mechanical Engineers** might arise, whose influence would give a lasting Impulse to the whole of the Manufactures of that Country, and that the secondary Consequences of the Acquisition of that Calculating Engine might become far more valuable than the primary object for which is was sought.
I have now detailed the Circumstances attending the present stat&f the Calculating Engine, I can make no claim on the Government, because when I undertook it for them, I made no stipulation for any Remuneration, either for the Invention or for my services in constructing it.
If it has cost the Country £20,000 it has been the Source of Expence to me, which although not of the same extent, is yet considerable compared with my means; and I have made sacrifices to meet that Expenditure: it has also prevented me from engaging in Occupations by which far more than that Sum would have accrued to me.
If it has consumed 13 years of my life instead of two or three, it will be said that I must suffer the Inconvenience arising from my own ignorance. -I was ignorant of that which no human Being could foresee; I have suffered the Consequences.
I feel however that these are not the Pleas, which it is worthy of a great Nation to set up when treating with an Individual on such a Question. If they are maintained, I ask no favour of that Country. New Circumstances have now arisen, over which neither party have any Controul, and a new Arrangement must now be made. All I ask is that I may have as early a Decision of the Question respecting the Calculating Engine, as a due Consideration of the Circumstances of the case connected with it, will admit.
Dorset St
Manchester Square (signed) Charles Babbage
23rd December 1834
**
I have been informed by Men who formerly worked at the Calculating Engine1 but who are now scattered about in our
Manufacturing Districts, that they all get higher wages than their fellow Workmen in Consequence of having worked at that
Machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment